I’ve been craving kale salads lately, so I decided to share my favorite kale salad recipe. I’ve been making it for years, so I’m not exactly sure where I found it. And don’t let the name fool you — it doesn’t actually contain any cream! The creaminess of the dressing comes from ripe avocado, and the apple, beet, and walnut toppings add sweetness and crunch. This is one of my favorite lunch salads!
I used to think that raw kale was too tough and chewy for a salad, but after reading several other kale recipes, I quickly learned how to tenderize kale. First, you must omit the large, tough ribs in the kale leaves. Tear the edible portion into bite-sized pieces and gather them in a mound on a plate or in a bowl. Using your hands, massage the kale by squeezing handfuls over and over to break down the tough fibers and soften the leaves. After massaging the kale for a couple of minutes, you’re ready to build your salad!
Creamy Kale Salad
- 2-3 large kale leaves, torn into bite-sized pieces (omit tough ribs)
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 T. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 t. Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 beet, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/4-1/3 sweet apple, cut into matchsticks (I prefer pink lady or gala)
- 2 T. walnut pieces
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- In a salad bowl/plate, massage kale for a couple of minutes to tenderize.
- In a blender, combine the avocado, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth. Alternatively, combine ingredients in a small bowl with a fork (like guacamole) if you don’t mind clumps of avocado.
- Toss the kale with the dressing. Use your best judgment — make it as creamy or as dry as you like. You may even have enough dressing left over to make a second salad!
- Now top the kale with the beets, apples, and walnuts. Add a sprinkle of pepper, if desired. Dig in!
What a nutritious lunch!
For another great kale salad recipe, check out my Layered Kale Salad With Ginger Dressing!