Growing up, it was a Sunday tradition for my mom to make a chocolate dessert for our family. Usually it was her famous chocolate pie, but occasionally it was an attempt at healthy brownies or sugar-free fudge, most of which ended up in the trash. Despite the dessert failings, I now have a deeply rooted desire for chocolate on Sundays. As chocolatey as these cookies are, they would be the perfect Sunday dessert.
I almost never buy Girl Scout cookies because I know how bad they are for me, but I do miss Thin Mints. These cookies taste very similar to Thin Mints, but are made from almond flour, cocoa, coconut sugar, and coconut oil. And because I’m fancy, I decided to add a little chocolate ganache and mint cashew cream.
These cookies are vegan, gluten-free, no-bake, and very chocolatey. I recommend serving them with a small scoop of nondairy vanilla ice cream to balance out the richness of the cookies.
Also check out my vegan, gluten-free Samoas (Caramel De-lites)!
Thin Mints with Ganache Buttons (Vegan and GF)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup cocoa
- 6 T. coconut sugar or maple sugar
- Pinch sea salt
- 6 T. coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 t. peppermint extract
- 1/2 t. vanilla extract
Cashew Mint Cream (optional):
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked 2+ hours
- 3 T. coconut oil
- 1/2 t. peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave
- 1-2 drops green food coloring
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 3/4 cup maple syrup or agave
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- To make the cookie base, combine the almond flour, cocoa, sugar, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. In a separate small bowl, combine the coconut oil, peppermint, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until thoroughly combined into a dough. Press one heaping teaspoon at a time onto a wax paper-lined cookie sheet, pressing an indentation in the middle with a spoon or thumb. Place in refrigerator or freezer to set.
- Combine all mint cream ingredients in a blender until smooth. Pour into a sandwich bag with a small corner removed (or a piping bag would work too). Set aside. Wash blender.
- For the ganache, combine all ingredients in blender until smooth. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon of ganache on each cookie. Pipe a design on top of the ganache with the green mint cream. Return cookies to fridge or freezer to set.
- Serve chilled, preferably with a small scoop of vanilla nondairy ice cream.