As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, my favorite meal to make and eat on the weekends is an easy soup. Well, it doesn’t get much easier than this creamy, nutritious broccoli soup! I make this recipe often because it’s one that Picky Husband really likes, and it’s easy to throw together if you have broccoli on hand. The soaked cashews make it creamy without having to add dairy, and the nutritional yeast gives it a nice cheesy flavor. This is definitely a recipe I would expect kids to like!
If you typically avoid broccoli (a cruciferous vegetable) because it is a gas-producing food for you, I encourage you to try this soup. Chewing foods very well (or in this case, blending them) helps reduce gas production. Broccoli is an excellent anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory vegetable, so if you can fit it into your diet, I highly encourage doing so!
Nutritional yeast is a commonly used ingredient for vegans because of its cheesy flavor and high vitamin content. Many people are scared away by its unappetizing name, while others just call it nooch and sprinkle it on anything that you would normally top with Parmesan. If you’ve never seen it before, it looks like dry, yellow flakes and is typically in the bulk section of the grocery store or is sold in bags or tubes (like oats). You may have to ask someone where it is in your local grocery store. You could also order it online. I make sure I always have some on hand.
Tip: A great snack for people who are not avoiding corn is plain popcorn with a light spritz of olive oil and a generous sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
- ½ cup raw cashews, pre-soaked 20+ mins in warm water, drained
- 2 large broccoli crowns, chopped (some stalk is fine, but try to use mostly the florets)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ t. garlic powder
- ¼ t. onion powder
- 1½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 t. white balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Steam broccoli until fork tender, 5-7 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients in blender until smooth. Add hot water to reach desired consistency.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with nutritional yeast and a dash of paprika, if desired.