Although it seems that most couples prefer to dine out for Valentine’s Day, others of us choose to dine in for various reasons. And since Valentine’s Day is all about your heart, why not cook something that is heart-healthy?
Beets, with their deep red anthocyanins (antioxidants), are a great vegetable to serve on Valentine’s Day. Their beautiful red hues dye everything they touch, so I decided to create a red dish containing beets and potato gnocchi with wilted arugula, pine nuts, and goat cheese (optional). The colors in this dish make it perfect for Valentine’s Day, but it’s so delicious, I recommend making it any time of the year!
Beet and Potato Gnocchi
- 1 large beet, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 t. fresh thyme, minced
- 1 c. vegetable broth (1 c. water + 1/2 veg. bullion cube)
- 1 9-oz. package gnocchi (I use GF)
- 1/2 cup water
- Large handful arugula
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Garnish: crumbled vegan cheese or goat cheese , pine nuts
- Place beet wedges in a microwave-safe dish and microwave for one minute to soften slightly.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the garlic, thyme, and a splash of water and cook about 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add the vegetable broth and beets. Bring to a low boil and cook for about 10 minutes, until the beets can be easily pierced with a fork, but are still slightly firm.
- Add the gnocchi and 1/2 cup water, stir, and cover. Reduce heat to low and cook until gnocchi are soft like marshmallows (if they seem dry and are sticking to the bottom of the pan, add a splash of water), about 5 minutes.
- Place arugula on top of the beets & gnocchi, cover, and steam until wilted, about 2 more minutes.
- When ready to serve, plate the beets & gnocchi with the steamed arugula and sprinkle with black pepper, pine nuts, and crumbled nut or goat cheese. Enjoy!
Have a happy and healthy Valentine’s Day, everyone! ♥